Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
The Early Years foundation stage
- is the single quality framework for children from birth to five;
- the EYFS is firmly rooted in a principled play based approach to learning and development;
- it is designed to give children the best possible start in life, making sure they are safe and able to thrive;
- every child develops differently and at their own pace.
There are six areas of learning which children progress through in overlapping stages.
These are :-
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Communication, language and literacy
- Problem solving, reasoning and numeracy
- Knowledge and understanding of the world
- Physical development
- Creative development
Key Stage One – Years 1 & 2
Key Stage Two – Years 3, 4, 5 & 6
As children move into KS2 their knowledge and skills are developed through a range of exciting topics including Tudor Britain, WWII, Escher, Extreme Weather , and Chocolate.
Teaching promotes high expectations of all children and sets high challenges tailored to the needs of the child. Throughout the key stages, emphasis is placed on building skills for independent thinking and personal responsibility. In Year 6 children have the opportunity to take part in enterprise projects, leadership schemes and performances of major productions. – not to be missed!
The transition from Primary to Secondary education is a very important time for the children and so we ensure that great attention is given to making this transition as smooth as possible. We have close links with a number of secondary schools in the area and the children have the opportunity to experience days of art, science, maths or physical education either at schools in the local area or with staff from those schools. During Term 6 children will be invited to an induction day at their new school enabling us to move all of our children up to their new ‘September’ classes and spend some time with new teachers and a new environment.
We pride ourselves on ensuring that our children leave St Mary and St John with a secure foundation on which to build their learning, confidence, and the desire to succeed in which ever path they choose.